http://www.weightlosssurgeryprice.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/5-Tips-Healthy-eating-on-a-budget.jpg 610 610 ginaburns http://www.weightlosssurgeryprice.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/TONIC-WEIGHTLOSS.png ginaburns2016-08-28 16:29:292016-09-06 13:30:225 Tips: Healthy Eating on a Budget
5 Tips: Healthy Eating on a Budget
We asked Tonic Weight Loss Surgery Specialist Dietitian, Gary Young, what should be on your shopping list!
- Buy frozen vegetables. Just as nutritious as fresh and can last a further 8 months – less waste and less pennies!
- Buy beans and pulses such as lentils and peas to create hearty low fat, cheap main meals. They are a source of protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals and they count towards your recommended five fruit and vegetables per day.
- Buy large packets of rice and pasta to save money, avoid the white starchy types and grab a bag of heather alternatives such as brown rice, couscous, Quinoa and wholemeal pasta. Another way to make a tasty fresh pasta alternative is to shred vegetables like courgettes and squash with a fine peeler until it resembles spaghetti.
- Buy tinned tomatoes for a sauce base, avoid buying jars and packets of ready made, pour over sauces which contain excessive amounts of fat, sugar and salt. Get creative with your herbs and spices to create your own healthy sauces. To save time and money cook larger batches and freeze for later in the week.
- Buy tinned fruit in fruit juice – no preparation needed to get that sweet fix and also counts towards your recommended five fruit and vegetables per day!